As the weather turns cold and dry, your skin may need a little more love to keep dullness, dry patches, roseacea, eczema, and acne at bay. If your skin is on the dry side, it can be tough to keep up with your skincare needs during these months. Shifting your routine with the seasons will go a long way.
1.You may want to think about ditching your facial cleanser and adopting the oil cleansing method. The oil cleansing method is a great way to clean (oil dissolves oil!) and gently exfoliate (you use a washcloth to wipe away the oil). If you deal with acne, don’t let oil scare you! You might be surprised by how much your skin improves with this method. Pro tip for the blemish prone: apply a 1:4 apple cider vinegar:distilled water mixture after oil cleansing and before moisturizing!
2. If you just can’t bring yourself to skip the suds, make sure you are using a gentle castile soap based cleanser instead of a detergent based one. Common ingredients to avoid: SLS, SLES, and Natural Plant Derived Cleansers. Detergents are harsh and strip the skin, contributing to all the skin ailments listed above.
3. You may need to up your exfoliation game during the winter...in frequency, not harshness! Your exfoliant of choice should ALWAYS be gentle or you will create tiny scrapes that lead to acne. Check out this one that doubles as a mask.
4. After cleansing and exfoliating you will want to hydrate, tone, and readjust the ph of your skin with a hydrosol, aloe juice, or both. Don't skip this step! Your face oil or serum won’t absorb nearly as well without these penetration enhancers.
5. Run from any moisturizers that contain preservatives or emulsifiers due to water or aloe content and choose a moisturizer composed of only the cold pressed oils your skin is thirsty for! Know which oils are best for your skin type. Mature skin will do better with a richer oil like Moringa and hemp-based oils are best for acneic skin. If the skin around your eyes gets dry, you may want to layer a balm or butter on top of your face oil in that area. Your body butter may do the trick!
6. Still feel like your skin needs a bit more love? Facial steams and masks are quite luxurious and might be necessary now and again. Be sure to take the time to care of yourself!
We all know soft, glowing skin makes us feel fantastic, but sometimes we forget how enjoyable the process can be. Create space for a skincare ritual that makes you feel amazing inside and out!